Wednesday 14 March 2007

Mortgage Madness

The BBC is reporting that the club are to ask Leeds City Council for a mortgage to buy back Elland Road and Thorpe Arch training facilities. They are currently owned by a shadowy British Virgin Islands' based company that no-one has a clue about. Bates has made the re-acquisition of the ground a priority and I can only applaud him on this. For a club not to own their own ground and training facilities is not only ridiculous from a ideological standpoint but bloody expensive as well.

It appears we pay £1.5million each year just to have a ground to play in! WTF is going on. Sometimes the mind boggles as to how we ever got into this mess. I'm sure if the FSA got involved half a dozen people would end being charged with financial malpractice.

However, the buy back cost for Elland Road is £13 and Thorpe Arch is £5. This will be secured by the "verbal guarantee" of a prominent Leeds businessman. Eh? Did I miss something? Can I go to Howard from the Halfax and ask for a massive mortgage 'coz my mate says he thinks I'll pay when my financial prudence in the past has been shoddy to say the least. Will keep you posted on any developments but really this blog is for commentary rather than breaking news so don't blame me if I'm not first to print the ink.

2 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

At 1.5m per year rent buying the ground back is good business. As you say what a shambles previous management got us in.

Anonymous said...

The chances of us gettin elland road back are astronomical ... it will be good business to buy and a bloody good time aswell!!